The Honda Accord Generations
By [http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Dennis_Dater]Dennis Dater
When I think of cars I usually picture a particular brand, model and year. for example, the 1961 Ferrari 250 GT California SWB Spyder which sold on May 18, 2008 for a record $10,994,400 at R.M. auctions. Or how about the 2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1, with 638 horsepower priced at $103,000 which may be the best value for the money sports car in the world. Or even the new 2009 Mini John Cooper Works which might be the most fun you can have for $29,200.
However when we think of automobiles like the Accord a specific model and year do not come to mind as much as which generation is it? That's right, not the particular year of an Accord ? We think of a particular group of years for changes in the Accord, and not the specific year.
As you may know 1976 was the first year of the Accord, and appropriately this was the start of the first grouping, which lasted until 1981. 2008 introduced the eighth group. Wow! Eight generations of cars in 32 years or on average a new major model change every four years. So it might be until 2012 when we see the ninth grouping.
So what is significant about each block of years?
First (1976-1981). A three door Accord hatchback with 68 brake horsepower and finishing with a three speed automatic or a five speed manual.
Second ( 1981-1985) Honda opened it's first American Accord manufacturing plant in Marysville, Ohio. The last of this generation was the Special Edition, SE-1 with a fuel injected 110 bph engine.
Third (1986-1989). This year started with a new body design that resembled the Prelude. The final model was now up to 120 horsepower, and the coupe was the first model to be produced in the United States and exported back to Japan.
Fourth (1990-1993). As you can see each time period is getting shorter. In this block the car was larger and heavier and resembled the Accura Legend. Power was up to 140 horsepower, and the first Accord wagon was introduced towards the end of the generation.
Fifth (1994-1997). The automobile grew in width, but shrunk in length. During this time period in 1995 the first V6 engine was introduced.
Sixth (1998-2002). The American model in this group of cars was now only available in sedans and coupes. Many more Accord models were available in both Japan and Europe.
Seventh (2003-2007). The American models again grew in size, and in 2004 the first hybrid model was introduced.
Eighth (2008-present) The latest generation of Accords dropped the hybrid models, relegating them to smaller models. Size again increased by 4 inches in length and 3 inches in width for the U.S. models.
Dennis Dater has been interested in cars since he learned to drive in a 1952 MG TD. He is opening two unique web sites to offer Honda Accord aftermarket parts. Visit him and see the products or read more articles. http://www.accordmania.com for Accord performance products http://www.accordtopia.com for Accord appearance products
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Dennis_Dater http://EzineArticles.com/?The-Honda-Accord-Generations&id=2136772
Are you looking for a 2009 honda accord for sale? Then you might want to check out RobbiesCarLot.com Used Cars For Sale
- Save Money on Your Home and Car Insurance
- Honda Questions That Need to Be Answered
- Pay Per Click Marketing Secrets - All You Need to Know to Manage Your Own PPC Campaign
- Low Financing in the 2008 Honda Car Clearance
- How to Have Fun While Reaching Your Goals
- First Generation Honda Accord (1976-1981)
- Honda Accord Third Generation (1986-1989)
- Repo Cars Auction
- 5 Tips on Picking Out a New Appliance For Your House
- What Types of Car Insurance Are There and What Do I Need?
- Honda and Acura
- Turbo Scion TC Vs the Honda Civic - Most Tunable Car?
- Honda Pushes the Ad Boundaries As Well As the Engineering Boundaries
- The Divorce Bandit - A Strange But True California Story
- Honda Tail Lights - Look Signified
- Opinion is Relative, Not Absolute
- Buy Police Impounded Cars - Talk Dollars - What Will it Cost Me?
- 5 Tips to Help You Save Big on Teenage Car Insurance
- Make Some Easy Money by Buying a Car For $1000 Bucks and Parting it Out
- Luxury Car Auctions Can Save a Bundle
- Used Honda Cars
- Public Vehicle Auctions Squeezed For Cars
- Where Are Honda Cars Made?
chevrolet camaro articles | honda accord articles | honda civic articles | mazda MAZDA3 articles | toyota camry articles