First Generation Honda Accord (1976-1981)
By [http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Dennis_Dater]Dennis Dater
1976 saw the launch of the Honda Accord a Japanese car that was to become one of the most popular cars in the United States. Starting out as a three door hatchback with a 68 horse power engine, it grew to 72 horse power by the end of the first generation. Weighing just 2,000 pounds it seems tiny by today's cars. Because of its smaller size and better fuel economy this car rapidly became a favorite foreign car import.
Some of the significant milestones for Japanese cars, such as the tachometer, intermittent wipers, and as standard Accord equipment such as an AM/FM radio, were introduced by Honda during these years. You could also choose the original 3-door hatchback or a newer 4-door sedan along with a 1.6 liter or 1.8 liter engine. Transmission options included 2-speed automatic, 3-speed automatic or a 5-speed manual transmission.
In 1981 the Accord SE model included novio-leather seats and power seats. Smaller black plastic remote mirrors were added to both the hatchback and the sedans. A major change during this generation of was the removal of worded warning lights and gauge markings with pictograms. Different color schemes for the Accord were made with Nivorno Beige being replaced with Oslo Beige, along with the elimination of dark brown and bronze metallic.
In 1981 a modification was made to the Accord shifter to prevent unintentional engagement of reverse.
A major disadvantage of this generation's cars was inadequate rust proofing. If you unfortunately lived in areas where salt is used to melt road ice in the winter you might have a major problem with rust. It was not unusual to find that the Accord strut towers rusted out and failed. This could turn your car into a parts car, and you would have lost almost all of the resale value of the car.
The Accord competed with other Japanese models such as the Toyota Corona, the Nissan bluebird, Mazda Capella, and the Mitsubishi Galant.
Dennis Dater has been interested in cars since he learned to drive in a 1952 MG TD. He is opening two unique web sites to offer Honda Accord aftermarket parts. Visit him and see the products or read more articles. http://www.accordmania.com for Accord performance products http://www.accordtopia.com for Accord appearance products
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Dennis_Dater [http://ezinearticles.com/?First-Generation-Honda-Accord-(1976-1981)&id=2136787 ]http://EzineArticles.com/?First-Generation-Honda-Accord-(1976-1981)&id=2136787
Are you looking for a 2008 honda accord for sale? Then you might want to check out RobbiesCarLot.com Used Cars For Sale
- Save Money on Your Home and Car Insurance
- Honda Questions That Need to Be Answered
- Pay Per Click Marketing Secrets - All You Need to Know to Manage Your Own PPC Campaign
- Low Financing in the 2008 Honda Car Clearance
- How to Have Fun While Reaching Your Goals
- The Honda Accord Generations
- Honda Accord Third Generation (1986-1989)
- Repo Cars Auction
- 5 Tips on Picking Out a New Appliance For Your House
- What Types of Car Insurance Are There and What Do I Need?
- Honda and Acura
- Turbo Scion TC Vs the Honda Civic - Most Tunable Car?
- Honda Pushes the Ad Boundaries As Well As the Engineering Boundaries
- The Divorce Bandit - A Strange But True California Story
- Honda Tail Lights - Look Signified
- Opinion is Relative, Not Absolute
- Buy Police Impounded Cars - Talk Dollars - What Will it Cost Me?
- 5 Tips to Help You Save Big on Teenage Car Insurance
- Make Some Easy Money by Buying a Car For $1000 Bucks and Parting it Out
- Luxury Car Auctions Can Save a Bundle
- Used Honda Cars
- Public Vehicle Auctions Squeezed For Cars
- Where Are Honda Cars Made?
chevrolet camaro articles | honda accord articles | honda civic articles | mazda MAZDA3 articles | toyota camry articles